1.7.24

Damnation, 1988. Béla Tarr




I don't care about stories. I never did. Every story is the same. We have no new stories. We're just repeating the same ones. I really don't think, when you do a movie that you have to think about the story. The film isn't the story. It's mostly picture, sound, a lot of emotions. The stories are just covering something. With "Damnation," for example, if you're a Hollywood studio professional, you could tell this story in 20 minutes. It's simple. Why did I take so long? Because I didn't want to show you the story. I wanted to show this man's life.

No me importan las historias. Nunca me importaron. Todas las historias son iguales. No tenemos historias nuevas. Sólo repetimos las mismas. Realmente no creo, cuando haces una película que tengas que pensar en la historia. La película no es la historia. Es sobre todo imagen, sonido, muchas emociones. Las historias sólo cubren algo. Con "Damnation", por ejemplo, si eres un profesional de un estudio de Hollywood, podrías contar esta historia en 20 minutos. Es simple. ¿Por qué me tomé tanto tiempo? Porque no quería mostrarte la historia. Quería mostrar la vida de este hombre.

Béla Tarr